Author Topic: al sharpton...  (Read 2934 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
al sharpton...
« on: September 05, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
...sets back race relations with every sentence.

he was amusing on hardball tonight - announcing his intentions to run for president and demanding monetary reparations for all blacks and yelling and talking over the host.

when is the black community going to put up a real leader?   :rolleyes:

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
al sharpton...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2001, 06:57:00 PM »
And it ain't easy to talk over Chris Matthews  :D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2001, 08:21:00 PM »
Ten Reasons Why Reparations for Blacks is a Bad Idea for Blacks - and Racist Too
http://www.frontpagemag.com/dh/2000/david06-05-00.htm" TARGET=_blank>Reparations Are Still A Bad Idea

I want to see Sharpton argue with Horowitz.

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Sandman_SBM ]
sand

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2001, 08:40:00 PM »
i wish i could find someone to argue with me supporting reparations. its got to be the easiest thing to argue against ever. WELL ARGUING AGAINST SLAVERY WAS PROBABLY EQUALLY AS EASY  ;)

oops that was accidental caps but im not gonna retype it

is there actually a piece anywhere that gives a GOOD reason for reparations?

even my black and democratic friends think al sharpton is an idiot. funny thing is they thought he was a "local yokel" in new york and didnt realize he was giving democrats a bad name nation wide  :)

he and jesse jackson actually think they are helping blacks. hahahahaha.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2001, 10:38:00 PM »
The real irony is that a clown like Sharpton causes more racial tention than healing it.

When will America, and the media wake up to the fact that this fat bastard is hiding under banner of black rights when all he is after is fame and fortune. Another Don King if you will, just a different arena.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2001, 11:07:00 PM »
If I was a black person in the US, I'd be pissed.  Why does everyone think that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson represent black people.  These two love muffines may represent a segment of the black community, but I find it hard to believe they represent every black person in the US.  That's like picking one or two white dipshits to represent every white person in the US.  Hey, maybe ours could be David Duke!

SOB
...uh oh, did I just compare Al Sharpton with David Duke?  Well, yeah  :)
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2001, 11:30:00 PM »
Seems to be whoever gets the "air time".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2001, 12:12:00 AM »
SOB.

Cause he's black.

If he was a white Sharpton, then the blacks would think he represented all the whites.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by fscott:
Another Don King if you will, just a different arena.

and a different hair style  :)

shame they give idiots like him any airtime at all. I'm afraid if he can convince a large segment of the black vote that there is a payment-for-having-relatives-that-were-once-slaves-check with their name on it, he'll get their vote. How many he can sell this idiotic idea to is anyones guess. But anyone who does buys it, I am sure has a "D" and not a "R" on their voter registration card. I only hope he runs as an independent  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
Of course he causes more tention. Why would he put himself out of a job?

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
Sharpton may have convinced some people that he represents them.  In fact, he represents Sharpton.  Like many people, he likes being in the limelight, and he long ago found a vehicle for keeping himself there.  He does not represent a majority opinion.

As for the question of reparations, though the idea has little merit, the debate about them is a good thing.  White America tends to remember that slavery existed long ago (and generally agrees it was a bad thing), but often forgets that many people living now have experienced legally enforced racially based double standards.  Its not that long ago and things are not "all better now" - as can be seen between the lines in some of the posts in this forum.  

Giving people money because their ancestors were enslaved 150 years ago makes little sense - remembering that their descendants still face bias and reduced opportunity in nearly every aspect of life is one of those uncomfortable things that should still be faced and discussed.

- Yoj

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
al sharpton...
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
by Yoj
  White America tends to remember that slavery existed long ago (and generally agrees it was a bad thing), but often forgets that many people living now have experienced legally enforced racially based double standards.

I remember it quite well, the first time was when I didn't get the job as a fire fighter after graduating high school because minorities where given extra 10% on evaluation & testing (to 'even up' the competition, if I was a minority I would have been insulted to be told the competition needed evening),
 so someone who was less qualified than me ended up with the job I needed, that was the beginning when my views on affirmative action got a reality check. Too many other incidences to list since then.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
Giving people money because their ancestors were enslaved 150 years ago makes little sense..

We are already doing that, in the form of affirmative action. YES I am against it.

I say, give the jobs to all the qualified humans, and then give reparations in the form of MONEY to all the people who got jobs based upon affirmative action.

There, now everyone should be happy.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: fscott ]

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
al sharpton...
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
The opposition to affirmative action comes from the assumption that the playing field is level to begin with.  Historically, minorities had to be demonstratively MORE qualified than whites to have the same opportunity for a job.  And even then, their prospects for advancement once they had it were (and still often are) seriously limited.   The affirmative action concept is aimed at this.  Obviously, legislating anything like that makes the system rigid and there will be occasions when someone who is truly less qualified is rewarded.  The problem lies not with affirmative action but in the way it is instituted.  Saying, for example, that minorities don't have to score as high on a standardized test is obviously flawed.  It shows that it was brought in with a serious lack of imagination.  I won't try to defend the way affirmative action works in every case, but the concept, IMHO, has merit. Until people are actually hired ONLY on the basis of their qualifications, and promoted ONLY on the basis of their performance, there will be a need for something like it.

- Yoj